FPTA 2017 Statewide Professional Audition Procedures
Please read the information below OR go here to read these important audition procedures. Thank you.
Please take a few minutes to read the following audition requirements and procedures. We believe the more you know in advance about the FPTA 2017 audition and callback procedures, the more relaxed and confident you’ll be during your audition. We want you to be great at these auditions; so, please read the following and prepare in advance.
Here is a PDFof the FPTA 2017 Auditions and Procedures
Audition Requirements and Procedures
1.All auditioning actors will have a two-minute-audition time slot.
Choose one (1) from the following options:
a. Two contrasting monologues
b. A monologue AND a song (favored by participating companies)
c. One monologue
d. Two contrasting songs
The audition timing will begin after you state your name and number just before your actual audition begins. Time will be called with a polite “Thank You” at two (2) minutes for all actors/performers.
2.Requirements for those who plan to sing:
Clearly mark your sheet music, and please
● have clear copies of published vocal-selection sheet music in plastic sheets in a binder or secured on cardboard or taped together;
● have music in the key you sing and clearly marked as to dynamics, tempos, articulation, repeats, and endings;
● please don't (1) arrive without music; (2) ask the accompanist, “Do you know. . .?”; (3) give arrangements that exist in your head and not on paper; (4) give last-minute verbal instructions; (5) have unwritten transpositions and illegible lead sheets or copies; and
● please do upon entering the audition space briefly explain your needs to the accompanist before your audition begins if you plan to sing, such as tempo, introductions, markings for tempo changes, articulation, repeats, and endings.
Thank you for you for your cooperation. These procedures will help enhance your audition.
3. Check in at the registration table in the lobby of the Florida Studio Theatre at least one hour before your scheduled time. Please know your time, audition number, and workshop schedule to make check-in easier and quicker. When you register using the online application, please make a note of the workshop dates and times you register for from May 20 through May 22.
4. Bring 25 headshots with your updated résumé either glued or copied on the back of each headshot. We prefer you do not staple your résumé to your headshot. The companies have a copy of your acting résumé in their FPTA 2017 Company Notebooks; however, they might request your headshot/résumé for their files on their callback forms posted at callback posting times.
If a company or companies request your headshot (you will know at callback posting times--see below), here are the procedures:
a. If a company or companies want a copy of your headshot, you’ll be notified when callbacks are posted.
b. Please make sure your telephone number, e-mail address, and audition number are on each copy of your headshot / résumé for the companies that request just your headshots.
c. ALSO, do the same procedure as explained in 4.b. above with your headshots for those companies that call you back for either dance, music, or reading callbacks.
d. After you have prepared the headshots with the information above, place them ONLY in the companies' headshot boxes that have requested them and in those company headshot boxes who called you back for either reading, dance, or singing.
Please do not put headshots in the companies' headshot boxes if those companies don’t call you back OR request a headshot. This saves you money.
5. While you’re waiting to be called for your audition, review the callback information and other updates on the information bulletin board in the registration area.
6.Actors are called by their audition numbers approximately 20 minutes prior to their audition times. So, please be in the lobby at least 20 minutes prior to your audition to be included in your audition group and guided to the audition location. We don't want you to miss your audition.
7. Once your number has been called, you’ll wait briefly in line outside the audition entry to the stage. Once you enter the audition space,
a. State your audition number and name as soon as you enter the audition space. This will give the company representatives time to find your résumé in their FPTA 2017 Company Notebooks before you begin your audition.
b. If you plan to sing, go directly to the accompanist to briefly review your sheet music. If you’re not singing, read c. below.
c. Go directly to downstage center of the stage. State your number and name again.
d. Begin your monologue and/or song, and please don’t explain it or tell the company representatives what piece(s) or song you will do. Just begin your monologue and/or song after you state your audition number and name. Your audition will begin when you start your monologue or song (whichever one starts your audition).
e. After your monologue (if applicable), nod to the accompanist you’re ready to sing.
f. Once your audition is completed, state your name and number one more time.
g. Pick up your sheet music, if applicable, from the accompanist; and exit the stage.
The Audition Space
The auditions will be held in a cabaret space at Florida Studio Theatre. The audition space will be shown to actors approximately every two hours; so, if you want to see the audition space, please arrive early.
Callbacks are held at the end of the audition day, which ends around 6:00 p.m. on Sunday and around 5:45 p.m. on Monday (subject to change). For example, if you audition on Sunday and are called back, you will need to be available for callbacks the evening of Sunday, May 21. If there is some reason you cannot stay for callbacks, please let a representative at the FPTA registration desk know.
Callbacks are posted at these approximate times -- subject to change:
Sunday, May 21 and Monday, May 22:
around 1:45 p.m. (for auditions prior to 12:30 p.m.) mid-afternoon around 3:45 p.m. (for auditions between 1:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m.) around 6:15 p.m. (for auditions after 3:30 p.m.)
HOW TO LEARN IF YOU'VE BEEN CALLED BACK BY A COMPANY OR COMPANIES:
At the three callback-posting times listed above, companies will provide one callback form at each callback time that lists the audition numbers of those who they just auditioned and who they want to call back for either reading, dance, or music callbacks. These company-callback forms are taped on long-folding tables in a room off the lobby of Florida Studio Theatre in front of each participating company's callback- magazine box to collect the headshots they request.
As you move around the callback tables, review the companies' callback forms and the audition numbers of who they have requested headshots only or callbacks, make notes of which companies request one or more of the following:
(1) A copy of your headshot / résumé only;
(2) That you sing again (a totally different song than what you sang at your audition — 16 bars only and clearly marked); bring extra and different sheet music to demonstrate your vocal range;
(3) That you participate in the dance callbacks; so, please bring clothes you can move in and appropriate foot wear, including tap shoes, but only if you already own a pair.
IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT DANCE CALLBACKS:
All actors who want to be seen in dance callbacks may participate; so, bring the appropriate clothing and shoes if you decide to stay for the dance auditions/callbacks, even if you're not called back for dance. If you want to demonstrate that you can move well or dance, you are welcome to participate in the dance callbacks. Dance callbacks are held Sunday and Monday from 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
(4)That you read for a specific part, be available for an interview, or do your audition again.
(5) Refer to the specific directions above under 4. a – d regarding your headshots for companies who request them or call you back.
Please make sure you read and follow the callback procedures and updates posted in the registration area in the theatre’s lobby.
Cancellations and Revisions
All cancellations and revisions must be completed on your online registration form and received by FPTA on or before May 15, 2017. No refunds or changes will be honored after May 15, 2017. Refunds do have a $10 processing fee.
All participants of the Florida Professional Theatres Association Conference and Auditions, while on the Florida Studio Theatre property are covered under the Florida Studio Theatre General Liability Policy.
These auditions and workshops are made possible by participating theatre companies and actors at FPTA 2017. We are also grateful to Florida Studio Theatre for providing its theatre, staff, and volunteers to help make this event possible and to Guillermo Marrodan for his time and expertise to develop our online application.
Florida Professional Theatres Association (FPTA) Post Office Box 2922 West Palm Beach, Florida 33402 Telephone: 561-848-6231 E-mail: email@example.com Web site: www.fpta.net Contact: Sherron Long
Travel safely, and we look forward to seeing you soon.
Florida Professional Theatres Association (FPTA) Post Office Box 2922 West Palm Beach, FL 33402-2922 info@FPTA.net